Monday, November 15, 2010

If someone was asking you for advice on whether or not to intern at your site, what would you tell them and why?

Before starting my internship at BCBG Max Azria; I was told by some people that it was not a good company to intern with. Supposedly; the company was disorganized and highly judgmental on your physical appearance. I was surprised to see people dress more laid back on my first day at the corporate head quarters in Vernon, CA. It was not mandatory to wear a suit or to dress in business professional attire. Right off the bat; the comment that the company was highly judgmental on appearance wasn't exactly true. As long as you presented yourself well then you shouldn't worry about them judging your appearance. The other comment on the company being disorganized is true but what I learned is that when you're in a creative environment it's hard to be organized. What I mean by that statement is when the visual team and I went out to the field (meaning, visited the retail stores), the initial plan to set up the store always changed because you had to work with what you had. I believe this is how people misconstrued the company's take on organization. The one thing I strongly advice to those who would like to intern with the company is that you have to know how to communicate with your boss in terms of what the task will be the next day, where you will meet and what time because it can change at times and this usually results in a misunderstanding and miscommunication between parties. In the end, if you like working in a fast paced environment, not so organized but fun environment then I highly recommend that you intern with the Visual Department at BCBG.

3 comments:

  1. I understand what you mean. I was surprised by the laid back atmosphere and I expected everyone to be dressed in formal business attire. I think I was the only one in my department wearing a tie with my dress shirt. I do have to agree that the company seemed a little unorganized at times and at times it was hard to find tasks for me to do but overall it was a good internship and I think it will be a resume booster for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also felt that my internship with the visual team at Anthropologie was disorganized, but disorganized in that you really had to roll with it for things pop up and you've got what you've got to work with. Communication was also key for our team, especially as the holiday season crept up. Glad you had an overall good experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had also heard that BCBG was highly critical of what you wear to work. This however, was from an employee, not an intern.

    ReplyDelete